Sunday, May 15, 2011

A First

Today I experienced a "first".  I LOVE experiencing things for the first time... I need to have more of these events in my life. They totally rock!

I am talking about running in the rain.  In the POURING rain!  All during my half-marathon training I would hit the treadmill if it was raining.  It was also winter so rain was really, really cold and windy.  But still... I'd never ever run in the rain. Until today, that is.  And it was AWESOME!

It had started out to be a good run.  It was one of those days where running felt really good and not at all labored.  My body felt good and not heavy to move forward.  So I already had a good start and didn't need that first 2k to get the kinks out. It felt great right from the get go.

I also did something I hadn't done in a long time and that was to drive to the Rhine Island for my run.  This is what I used to do when 5k was a long run. But since my runs have gotten much longer, I would run the 2km it took to get to the Island and then back - using it to add to the mileage.  Well today I felt like JUST running on the Island, because its my absolute favorite place to run.  It has really wide trails surrounded by trees with several different routes to take around the Island, which are marked.  The terrain is great until you go around the outer perimeter to run along the Rhine, which I did not do today.  I did my entire run of 13.41km just running through the paths within the island on the great terrain.

But after a few kilometers, it started to rain. It started to POUR!  I was only wearing a tank top and capri's but I was not cold at all. In fact, IT FELT GREAT!  I can't explain it but I just felt like a bad-ass running in the rain ... especially since I've never done it. It was not at all uncomfortable and I enjoyed every minute of it!  It had already been one of those good runs so this just intensified that awesome feeling.

As I came around to the Island entrance, people were running for cover - to stay dry or to get off the Island as fast as possible.  They looked at me like I was crazy as I passed the entrance and kept on going down the path. YES!  I kept on going and I felt like a REAL RUNNER.  I was determined to finish my goal of 13km for today.  I didn't need the mental games to keep me going today (like I need sometimes). Today I just kept on going and enjoying it until I finished my goal.  I would have kept on going to hit 15 but I was already really late for lunch at the in-laws.

I started to get really cold on the cool-down walk to my car. I was drenched and sweating with a beat red face and then couldn't wait to get into my dry car.  MAN, that was an awesome experience!!!!

I've committed to another half-marathon in Germany next month.  BRING IT!

Eating better MUST be a priority.  My weight is pretty much at my set-point.  After I re-gained that 20 lbs, it's stayed this way for about 2 years now, give or take 5 lbs or so.  I really need to shake things up in that department.  If I make an effort, I can easily do this.  But I haven't been.  I'm eating well HALF the time and running and with this routine, I am maintaining.   I don't want to maintain any longer.  If I drop this 20 extra pounds on my body,  I will be able to run much more efficiently.  This HAS GOT to be a priority.  I must begin to make better choices once again.

Wish me luck!

Here's to a new week. A blank slate to start anew.  20 lbs BE GONE!

Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment