I love this time of the year because this area of Germany is home to the white asparagus. And now is the time the farms pick it and sell it. There are many fields all around my house and when I'm out running through them, the people are out and sweating as much as I am while picking all the asparagus. There is a farm right up the road and very often I ride my bike there to pick up the local strawberries (which are not out yet - about 10 more days) and white asparagus. I eat it many different ways but my favorite way is real simple - as a salad. Boiled, cut up and with olive oil, salt & vinegar. But of course we always get creative with how we make it. This time doesn't last so long so when it's in season we take full advantage of it.
Plus, at the farm there is a big machine which peels it for you. Makes it so easy!
Yesterday and the day before, my son and I spent a lot of time cycling all over the place. We passed many farms and rode through all the fields. The weather was beautiful and we had a great time. Today he said his hands are sore from holding on to the handle bars!
I got out this morning and went for a really nice and hilly 5 mile run. By most runner's standards, they are not really hills but long inclines. But to me, they are HILLS - if you have to get to the top of them to see over the other side, then THAT is a hill! But it was a great run and I felt really good. Some of the run was shaded and through the forest but most of it was in the blaring sun.. But I am trying to get used to running in all weather - not just ideal weather. I've still never really run in rain! Just a drizzle but not real rain - or even snow! I always just go to the treadmill if the weather doesn't cooperate. But I am trying to change that. Slowly.....
I finally made the leap to metric on my Garmin. I always hang on the to American way for as long as possible but then finally have to give in to the European way. Like my keyboard - I used my American one and then bought another American one on the base but I had the German one on my work laptop and it just got so confusing... So I gave in and now I use the German one exclusively. So now my Garmin is set up to be more useful in races. I even finally gave up my NJ drivers license - it was so hard to hang on to and so I figured - ok fine. I really don't need it. And that was a great decision because I was pulled over for speeding last time I was in America and its just too hard to ticket me with a German license. So sometimes, it really works out! But giving up anything from my American life is always painful!
I haven't made a dent in my training schedule. Right now I am just running. I know I need to add in all the other stuff and I will get to it. I know I really need to and I will work on the plan over the weekend.
I am looking forward the holiday - well ALMOST everything... On Easter we eat RABBIT at the in-laws. There is just something really sick about that! I'll have a few bites but it's not really my thing. ESPECIALLY on Easter! Spoke to mom today and boy do I wish I could be there for dinner! :)
YAY - I'm done at work and ready to enjoy the weekend!
Have a good one!
Tina

Hi Tina, is that your son and dog in the earlier post?? ah so cute. OK, so wabbit?? Oh girl...I feel for ya. Hey just a little side note I am not making any goodies this year for Easter. My daughter is making her Conformation next week, on the 28th and my sisters are all coming down. My oldest sis is making the meat pie, I'm sure she will bring some for the husband. Yes that must be hard giving up you connection to home, that is a difficult thing to do. But I can tell you are a determined lady and you will get over these little things in life...your workout schedule is really going strong. My heel pain is causing me to not move as much as I should... But I will do what my body permits me to do...Have a wonderful weekend...and a Blessed Easter...
ReplyDeleteSuch an interesting entry...thanks!!!
ReplyDeleteI need to try asparagus ~ been here for 6 years and have never bought them...saw them all displayed for sale yesterday while out shopping...I heard they are very nice when baked as well...I MUST TRY!!!
The weather has been beautiful....I've been enjoying it as well....have this terrible fear while cycling so last year I gave it up...decided i need to try again this year...after all I'm a freaking spinning instructor who fears a moving bike!!!!!
Its hard to give up what one knows....I have a UK key board....have never changed to a German one...and never will.
My Blackberry has Germany keypad......not used to both.
I had to redo my German drivers licence as my hubby forgot to change it over after me being here for 2 years...I WAS MAD AS HELL.
Have lovely Easter...my man is stuck in a sta between the airport and home right now :(